- Heart benefits: Consuming coconut increases levels of the 'good' HDL cholestrol which helps flush the 'bad' LDL cholestrol out of are arteries. This is why in countries hwhere coconut is staple food there is a prevalence of heart disease and ther related illnesses such as diabetes.
- Weight Loss: Adding a small amount of coconut oil to your diet can help whilst trying to lose weight as it it thought to promote the rate at which the body burns fat to produce heat. It can also make you feel more full, so you eat less!
- Immunity Boost: Coconut oil is antiviral, antibacterial and antiparasitic. It can help combat problems such as ulcers, measles, gum disease and more.
- Sports Drink: Coconut water is thought to be a great alternative to a sports drink as it helps replace lost minerals and rehydrate the body. I drink it in the morning to rehydrate after a night with no fluid intake or after excercise.
Coconut is also great for beauty treatments. It is antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and moisturising. The added bonus is that it smells great and reminds me of being in a tropical paradise. You can buy a jar from any local supermarket or health food shop. Here are some beauty uses for coconut oil:
• Face mask: Mix coconut oil with honey and apply to you face for about 15 minutes whilst it soaks in, then wash off.
• Hair mask: Take a spoonful of coconut oil and brush through hair, leave on your hair for about an hour for a deep conditioning treatment. If it just the ends of your hair which are dry just comb through the tips. Shampoo your hair thoroughly afterwards.
• Scalp treatment: If your scalp has become a bit dry and flaky then massage a small amount of coconut oil into your scalp.
• Lip balm: Put a small amount of your coconut oil into a pot and use it as a moisturising lip balm.
• Nail oil: Massage a small amount of coconut oil into the nail and cuticle then place in cotton gloves or wrap in a towel until it has been absorbed.
• Body moisturiser: After a bath or shower massage a small amount into slightly damp skin. This will leave your skin feeling moisturised and smelling great
Do you use coconut oil? Let me know how?
Love Fiona xxx